This is an annual event hosted by the Mayor of Grande Prairie that is focused on “Men Speaking Out Against Family Violence and Abuse in Our Community”. As mentioned Mayor Bill Given hosted and special guests MLA- Grande Prairie Wapiti Wayne Drysdale and Reeve- County of Grande Prairie Everett McDonald, were also there in support. The Keynote speaker was Dr. Michael Kaufman, and is one of the founders of The White Ribbon Campaign and has circle the globe speaking to this cause.
The White Ribbon Campaign (WRC) is the largest effort in the world of men working to end violence against women (VAW). In over fifty-five countries, campaigns are led by both men and women, even though the focus is on educating men and boys. In some countries it is a general public education effort focused on ending violence against women.
The main goal of WRC is ending violence against women in all its forms. We accomplish this in five ways:
- Challenging everyone to speak out, and think about their own beliefs, language and actions.
- Educating young people, especially young men and boys, on the issue through the educational resources we produce.
- Raising public awareness of the issue.
- Working in partnership with women’s organizations, the corporate sector, the media and other partners to create a future with no violence against women.
- Supporting White Ribbon Campaigns around with our experience, resources and networks.
You can find out more information about The White Ribbon Campaign and the local help available on the links below.
http://www.acws.ca/shelter_display.php?shelter_id=27 Odessey House